Here are a few ‘Transportation Happenings’ that we thought you might find of interest:
1. First and foremost ….. Please don’t forget about ROADCHECK 2017 which will take place from Tuesday June 6 through Thursday June 8. Roadside Inspectors will be increased in number as will Level 1 Inspections. We too will increase our Rewards for any Clean Inspections during that Period. Get your rigs ready and make sure exceptional walkarounds are done on any equipment to be hauled during that period.
2. Attached are the results of a Study done by the FMCSA and the NTSB in which it was determined that 34% have admitted to falling asleep at the wheel. The article attached gives 10 very sensible thoughts on how to prevent same.
3. Severe storms resulting in flooding of the Rio Grande River has resulted in the shutting down of the main Bridge at Laredo between Mexico and the U. S. It is not expected to re-open until Tuesday May 30.
4. The Port of Baltimore has seen 5% growth during the First Quarter 2017 mainly in the automobile and container volumes.
5. The merger of UASC and HapagLloyd is now final. There are still some phase in procedures taking place though and you should carefully check as to what to do.
6. The Port of Port Everglades (Ft. Lauderdale) Florida has announced approval to spend $437 Million to expand the Turning Basis and Piers to accommodate Container Operations. They also are seeking Funds to buy at least 3 new Post-Panamax Container Cranes.