The following “Transportation Happenings” occurred during the past week that you may find of interest.
- The Federal Maritime Commission is considering making all Members of an Alliance responsible of delivering all freight tendered to the Alliance even if one of the Alliance Members encounters financial difficulties.
- The Port of Los Angeles is considering a 3500 Truckload Staging Area adjacent to the Port’s Terminals which presumably would work on a 24 hours basis 7 days a week to stage import/export loads.
- The Georgia Ports Authority increased TEU throughput 10.8% during the first six months of 2017.
- The South Carolina Ports Authority also increased its volume. It was up 13% during the first 7 months of 2017.
- TOTE is apparently actively seeking to establish a Service to Hawaii from the West Coast. This would mean that there would be three major carriers in that trade lane.