The following “Transportation Happenings” occurred during the past week that you may find of interest:
1. The U. S. Navy has just done away with testing biofuels as an alternate fuel yet two companies are going to try it in commercial ships.
2. The ILA is studying a proposal presented by the Management Council which would extend the East Coast/Gulf Coast Contract.
3. Senators John McCain and Mike Lee are introducing a Bill in Congress to permanently exempt Puerto Rico from the provisos of the Jones Act. This would mean that foreign flagged vessels could carry cargoes/containers between the U. S. Mainland and the Island.
4. Hurricane MARIA losses in the Caribbean may exceed $80 Billion. This of course is over and above the costs of IRMA.
5. Many of you probably did not know Paul Richardson. He was one of the Founders of containerization working for Malcolm McLean during the advent. Attached is a two page article on his career and contributions.
6. I am also attaching an article which describes the the North American Council for Freight Efficiency’s efforts to improve fuel economy in trucks. In somewhat controlled conditions they were able to achieve as high as 10.1 MPG.
7. The last attachment describes ten driving tips for your O/Os. Please print this off and post it on your Bulletin Boards so they may do some pre-planning for the upcoming Winter Driving Season.