The following “Transportation Happenings” occurred during the past week that you may find of interest.
1. The CEO of HAPAG-LLOYD is predicting that by the end of 2018 a total of nine of the 20 largest container shipping companies will have disappeared.
2. Maritime UK is taking steps to increase the number of Women entering the Maritime Fields of employment. Today Women only comprise 3% of Ship’s Officers, 4% of Technical Officers and 1% of Engineering Officers.
3. The merged Japanese Carriers (MOL, NYK and K Line) have been give the final approval to operate as Ocean Network Express (ONE).
4. To aggravate the world container shipping capacity, CMA/CGM has announced they will increase the capacity of at least four of their 13,800 TEU Capacity container ships.
5. MAERSK’s stock is down 7% on the announcement that they have had their first loss in 70 years.
6. Following are the ELD errors that seem to be repeating themselves so far:
a. No back up paper log book. (Must be able to cover at least 8 days.
b. Not Manually entering trailer/chassis data
c. Portable hand held device has no permanent mounting device
d. Not following prompts given by ELD.