The following “Transportation Happenings” occurred during the past week that you may find of interest.
1. Worldwide Shipping Volumes are expected to be up which should drive up all shipping rates.
2. Infrastructure spending will be announced soon in our country and the amount to be spent is expected to be incentivized by the Federal Government to encourage the participation of other parties.
3. The Philippines has just built its first 20,000 TEU Containership at the old U. S. Navy Facility in Subic Bay.
4. Shipbuilding is off by 50% in Korea but, China is taking up much of the slack. Also, the previously mentioned shipyard in Subic Bay is owned by Hyundai of Korea.
5. EVERGREEN LINES has announced it will add 20 midsized (11,000 TEU) containerships over the next few years.
6. Amazon.com has patented a autonomous device that will operate out of one’s house or garage and retrieve packages being delivered by parcel carriers.